Saturday, 30 May 2015

My Two Part Silicone Mould by Beano Boy

 
Tools I used.    Lego Bricks to make the Moulding Box.  A Calking Gun. A small Soup Bowl for mixing up.An old Table Spoon.The Top off an acrylic paint bottle.And of course my Mitts! ( Hands!)
 


        Ingredients used are listed below.The first one on the list is Cheap Silicone.





To save confusion the picture above is the Black Silicone,but I used the clear one for this mould. As long as it is 100% Silicone it can be any colour of choice,and colour can even be added while the mixing process is taking place.
 



                                                                  THE FIRST MIX

3 heaped Table Spoons of Corn Flour  ( Starch! ) 3 heaped Table Spoons of Baby Powder. 2 Spoons of Baby Oil. 8 good squirts of the Silicone heaped like Table Spoons. So I aimed for a 50% 50% Mix. ( It being the case that Silicone smells strongly of Vinegar I always open a window & door.)
All the Silicone was  covered with the powder mix, and using the spoon all ingredients were worked into a  Dough like mixture and shaped by hand with a good dusting of Baby Powder, leaving it looking much like that of a Dumpling or that of Dough for Bread Making! The Lego Box being well prepared before the mixing, was now filled with my home made moulding mix .It was all pressed in with my fingers & thumbs. Also pressed into place was the Pattern! Yes, my little two and a half inch Sailor  was pressed into place quite easily up to his halfway point.  His feet being put against the Lego Bricks, which made this the entry point for casting up this little fellows mould. The edges were easy to smooth off with fingers and thumb because of the Baby Oil being in the mix,and this oil also helps the stuff to cure much better. Using the Top off the acrylic paint bottle,Peg Holes were sunk into place all around the figure. When the top half  of the mould was made ,these formed solid pegs making it possible for a perfect fit each time that the mould is used.






While I`m doing this Moulding,I `ve put work on my Narrow Boats on hold,because of limited space in which to work.  In the meantime the Lego Box was built up to form the other half of the mould.  
 
 


 I left it until the next day then using the same 50% 50% Mix ,the mould was filled up after a little Baby Oil had been lightly brushed on around the figure,which formed a parting point to each half. So the  Mould is finished. Stuff left over was tucked into place into an open top mould for another project which ment nothing was waisted.   Total Cost of making this two part mould £1.60.
A small jar of ready made stuff would cost £10.00,and using a wide choice of other modelling stuff a heck of a lot more.
 
 
 
 
Although this mix did cure within two hours I left it for six hours before the Lego Bricks were removed, and they are in the washing up bowl getting clean for the next how to mould project. The Mould perfectly came apart as planned and out popped my little Sailor without any trouble at all. At present it is a bit oily so it will be washed too in soapy water. This was a very cheap project that even children could do, and without being exposed to dangerous chemicals. Once the little Chap is cleaned up he will go back into the plant pot outside our window.As for the Reusable Mould it will be cast up in Plaster of Paris and a something else ,which will mix up into a very good Waterproof Mixture.
 
 


The Mould has just been Cast Up. Two  pieces of Polystyrene  had been added one to  each side and the complete bundle had been fixed tightly around with Sellotape before the pour. The top was levelled off just before it went completely hard. Thus avoiding trimming the hard stuff off later. Cured in 10 minutes,but mould left to be open much later.I aint in no big rush!
 
 




The first Sailor of a few planned popped out fine with no flash at all, but I need to tidy him up later by using a sharp knife and my thumb. I plan to make eight Sailors for a fun time project later in the year which is a certain something I`ve wanted to do for years.
 

  I managed to make all my Sailors,and while mixing and casting them up,I manage to cast up 40 28mm Gabions  too which can be seen in the picture.
 
All in Blue
 

                                                
 It`s been a while since I made these little fellows ,and now an undercoat waterproof home made primer wash went on easy and most of the painting has gone to plan. I find it is easier in this cartoon type stuff to keep it simple like a Puppet Show. I`m quite pleased with them,and I now have to decide on how best to show them. A Battle Ship,or Cruiser? Much to Big. A Gun Battery! That Sounds Good. I`ll Think on It.    BB

1 comment:

  1. Later these fellows will be painted up and stand aboard some quirky boat going out to sea. Iron Clad comes to mind. BB

    ReplyDelete